China development faces new problems: Prez Hu
Beijing: President Hu Jintao said on Sunday that China`s rapid development faced "a series of new problems" including maintaining social stability, in a speech 10 days ahead of the sensitive National Day.
As authorities make exhaustive preparations to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of communist China on October 1, Hu also said that Western-style democracy was not an option for the Asian giant.
There was "an arduous task with regards to the impact of the international financial crisis and maintaining the rapid and steady growth of the economy," he said.
He added the ruling Communist Party also faced "an arduous task in safeguarding and improving people`s livelihood and maintaining social stability".
Hu made the comments in a speech marking the 60th anniversary of the CPPCC, an advisory body to the Communist Party, posted on the official china.com.cn website.
National Day, which will be marked by a huge military parade in the capital, comes at a delicate time for China, with simmering ethnic unrest in Xinjiang, a vast region in the northwest, and sporadic mass protests elsewhere.
Hu called on members of the CPPCC to promote national unity in the country of 1.3 billion.
You "must... assist the party and the government in doing its ethnic and religious work well, promote national unity, religious harmony and social stability," he said, according to the transcript.
"We must refer to the fruits of mankind`s political civilisation to develop socialist democracy, but we must by no means imitate the Western political system`s method," he added.
The comments came two days after a key annual meeting of the party`s powerful central committee ended, vowing to battle endemic corruption and keep the economy growing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray