China development faces new problems: Prez Hu
Beijing: President Hu Jintao said on Sunday that China`s rapid development faced "a series of new problems" including maintaining social stability, in a speech 10 days ahead of the sensitive National Day.
As authorities make exhaustive preparations to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of communist China on October 1, Hu also said that Western-style democracy was not an option for the Asian giant.
There was "an arduous task with regards to the impact of the international financial crisis and maintaining the rapid and steady growth of the economy," he said.
He added the ruling Communist Party also faced "an arduous task in safeguarding and improving people`s livelihood and maintaining social stability".
Hu made the comments in a speech marking the 60th anniversary of the CPPCC, an advisory body to the Communist Party, posted on the official china.com.cn website.
National Day, which will be marked by a huge military parade in the capital, comes at a delicate time for China, with simmering ethnic unrest in Xinjiang, a vast region in the northwest, and sporadic mass protests elsewhere.
Hu called on members of the CPPCC to promote national unity in the country of 1.3 billion.
You "must... assist the party and the government in doing its ethnic and religious work well, promote national unity, religious harmony and social stability," he said, according to the transcript.
"We must refer to the fruits of mankind`s political civilisation to develop socialist democracy, but we must by no means imitate the Western political system`s method," he added.
The comments came two days after a key annual meeting of the party`s powerful central committee ended, vowing to battle endemic corruption and keep the economy growing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’