China dissident jailed on Yahoo info is freed
Beijing: A Chinese dissident imprisoned for 10 years on a state subversion conviction supported by evidence from Web portal Yahoo was released early Friday after completing his term, his wife said.
The American Internet company drew strong condemnation from US lawmakers and rights advocates for cooperating with Chinese authorities in prosecuting dissidents and a well-known journalist. The company later apologised and settled a lawsuit with the families involved for an undisclosed amount.
Wang Xiaoning`s wife, Yu Ling, said in a phone interview that her husband had been released before dawn Friday by the Beijing No 2 Prison. She had been earlier told she could meet Wang at the prison gate but he was released several hours early and taken to their home.
Yu said the conditions of his release meant he could not speak to the media. She said Wang appeared to be in good health, but would go for a medical check soon.
"We`re happy that the family is together again," Yu said. The couple has a son.
Wang was detained in September 2002 and later sentenced for "incitement to subvert state power" a vaguely defined charge frequently used to punish political critics. Wang distributed pro-democracy writings by e-mail and through Yahoo Groups.
A former engineer in China`s weapons industry, Wang had been detained previously for his political activities following the June 4, 1989, military crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Beijing`s Tiananmen Square.
Rights groups said that passages from writings cited at his trial in 2003 included: "Without a multiparty system, free elections and separation of powers, any political reform is fraudulent."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Salman Khan's 'Sultan' transformation is truly commendable! Pics inside
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to meet industry chambers, CAs on black money window
- Lionel Messi retires: List of other Argentine footballers who have followed their captain into retirement
- Hubby Rohit Roy lashes out at wife Dimpy Ganguly’s haters who trolled her for getting pregnant before marriage
- Bollywood celebrities recall Rahul Dev Burman on his 77th birthday