`China doesn`t want carrier competition with India`
Beijing: China does not want to "engage in a carrier competition with the US or its Asian neighbours like India", a state-run Chinese daily said on Thursday.
An article in the Op-Ed section of the Global Times said: "...China has neither the desire nor the strength to engage in a carrier competition with the US or its Asian neighbours like India."
"China won`t initiate a war, bully neighbours with which it has territorial disputes, and claim maritime hegemony. This is a clichéd speculation held by those obsessed with the Cold War mentality, no matter how China explains its intentions," it said.
The Chinese daily said the country`s first aircraft carrier, originally the Ukrainian Varyag, set off for its 10th sea trial on Monday and it has been followed closely by overseas observers.
"Among external interpretations there are largely two tendencies: One sees the carrier as another symbol of China`s muscle-stretching strategy and thus hypes the increasing `China threat`, whereas the other disparages the Varyag as a `paper tiger` and a carrier `in name only`," it said.
"It`s hard to tell how long it will take before Western observers can rationally view China`s carrier development as a natural, necessary step in the country`s military build-up, just as with their own navies," the daily added.
Calling the Varyag an important milestone in China`s rise, the article stressed that "China doesn`t want to stir up more concerns and worries among its neighbours. This is also why the nation keeps a low-profile and is cautious about publicizing every single move related to its carrier development".
Stating that carrier development helps China to gain strategic and political advantage in the increasingly complex regional dynamics, it said: "This is a pragmatic choice as the whole of Asia is entering the era of carrier development."
The daily went on to say that China has been seeking more deterrent ability to secure its development environment.
"Its defensive policy won`t change no matter whether it enters the carrier era or not," it assured.
India plans to operate at least two aircraft carriers at any given time. Its Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) is under construction at the public sector Cochin Shipyard in the southern Indian state of Kerala. India also plans to build another, larger IAC that will weigh about 65,000 tonnes and is likely to be called INS Vishal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks