China donates Buddha tooth-relic stupa replicas to Myanmar
Beijing: China has donated three tooth relic stupa replicas of Lord Buddha to Myanmar in a bid to enhance religious ties between the two countries.
The Buddhist Association of China (BAC) held a religious ceremony in western Beijing`s Lingguang Temple on Saturday to send three Sakyamuni (Gautam Buddha`s) tooth-relic stupa replicas to Myanmar.
Master Chuanyin, the president of the BAC, said the event reflects the strengthened friendship between the Buddhist circles and the peoples of both countries.
The stupa replicas will be sent to Ruili City in southwest China`s Yunnan Province, which borders Myanmar, after the ceremony.
Religious officials from Myanmar are expected to lead a delegation to receive the stupa replicas on June 7, state run Xinhua news agency reported.
The three stupa replicas will be displayed in the cities of Rangoon, Naypyitaw and Mandalay, respectively, according to the BAC.
Currently housed in a golden pagoda in Lingguang Temple, the Sakyamuni tooth sarira has been taken to Myanmar for display and worship in 1955, 1994, 1996 and 2011.
To enhance ties between the two countries` Buddhist circles and people, the BAC decided to replicate the original Sakyamuni tooth-relic stupa and send it to Myanmar.
The BAC will also donate tractors, agricultural machinery as well as a primary school to Myanmar.
Sarira are remains from the cremation of a Buddha sent to different parts of the world by Emperor Ashoka to spread Buddhism.
Often shaped like beads, they are regarded as the most treasured Buddhist relics.
After Sakyamuni (565-486 BC), the founder of Buddhism, was cremated some 2,500 years ago, a few pieces of his sarira relics were brought to China by monks who preached Buddhism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India