China donates Buddha tooth-relic stupa replicas to Myanmar
Beijing: China has donated three tooth relic stupa replicas of Lord Buddha to Myanmar in a bid to enhance religious ties between the two countries.
The Buddhist Association of China (BAC) held a religious ceremony in western Beijing`s Lingguang Temple on Saturday to send three Sakyamuni (Gautam Buddha`s) tooth-relic stupa replicas to Myanmar.
Master Chuanyin, the president of the BAC, said the event reflects the strengthened friendship between the Buddhist circles and the peoples of both countries.
The stupa replicas will be sent to Ruili City in southwest China`s Yunnan Province, which borders Myanmar, after the ceremony.
Religious officials from Myanmar are expected to lead a delegation to receive the stupa replicas on June 7, state run Xinhua news agency reported.
The three stupa replicas will be displayed in the cities of Rangoon, Naypyitaw and Mandalay, respectively, according to the BAC.
Currently housed in a golden pagoda in Lingguang Temple, the Sakyamuni tooth sarira has been taken to Myanmar for display and worship in 1955, 1994, 1996 and 2011.
To enhance ties between the two countries` Buddhist circles and people, the BAC decided to replicate the original Sakyamuni tooth-relic stupa and send it to Myanmar.
The BAC will also donate tractors, agricultural machinery as well as a primary school to Myanmar.
Sarira are remains from the cremation of a Buddha sent to different parts of the world by Emperor Ashoka to spread Buddhism.
Often shaped like beads, they are regarded as the most treasured Buddhist relics.
After Sakyamuni (565-486 BC), the founder of Buddhism, was cremated some 2,500 years ago, a few pieces of his sarira relics were brought to China by monks who preached Buddhism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional