China donates Buddha tooth-relic stupa replicas to Myanmar
Beijing: China has donated three tooth relic stupa replicas of Lord Buddha to Myanmar in a bid to enhance religious ties between the two countries.
The Buddhist Association of China (BAC) held a religious ceremony in western Beijing`s Lingguang Temple on Saturday to send three Sakyamuni (Gautam Buddha`s) tooth-relic stupa replicas to Myanmar.
Master Chuanyin, the president of the BAC, said the event reflects the strengthened friendship between the Buddhist circles and the peoples of both countries.
The stupa replicas will be sent to Ruili City in southwest China`s Yunnan Province, which borders Myanmar, after the ceremony.
Religious officials from Myanmar are expected to lead a delegation to receive the stupa replicas on June 7, state run Xinhua news agency reported.
The three stupa replicas will be displayed in the cities of Rangoon, Naypyitaw and Mandalay, respectively, according to the BAC.
Currently housed in a golden pagoda in Lingguang Temple, the Sakyamuni tooth sarira has been taken to Myanmar for display and worship in 1955, 1994, 1996 and 2011.
To enhance ties between the two countries` Buddhist circles and people, the BAC decided to replicate the original Sakyamuni tooth-relic stupa and send it to Myanmar.
The BAC will also donate tractors, agricultural machinery as well as a primary school to Myanmar.
Sarira are remains from the cremation of a Buddha sent to different parts of the world by Emperor Ashoka to spread Buddhism.
Often shaped like beads, they are regarded as the most treasured Buddhist relics.
After Sakyamuni (565-486 BC), the founder of Buddhism, was cremated some 2,500 years ago, a few pieces of his sarira relics were brought to China by monks who preached Buddhism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway