China drug safety probe nets local council chief
Beijing: A township council chief in northern China has been arrested on suspicion of ordering the torching of a factory that made gelatin capsules from industrial waste.
State broadcaster CCTV said on Sunday that Song Jiangxin had been found to have made a phone call ordering that the factory in Hebei province be set ablaze and all records destroyed. Song`s brother owns the factory.
The scandal is the latest to rock China`s pharmaceutical industry, which sufferers from abundant fakery and substandard ingredients. Another 23 people in eastern China have also been arrested on suspicion of using the Hebei factory`s capsules, which contain dangerous levels of the chemical chromium.
Township and county clerks said they had no information about the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?