China drug safety probe nets local council chief
Beijing: A township council chief in northern China has been arrested on suspicion of ordering the torching of a factory that made gelatin capsules from industrial waste.
State broadcaster CCTV said on Sunday that Song Jiangxin had been found to have made a phone call ordering that the factory in Hebei province be set ablaze and all records destroyed. Song`s brother owns the factory.
The scandal is the latest to rock China`s pharmaceutical industry, which sufferers from abundant fakery and substandard ingredients. Another 23 people in eastern China have also been arrested on suspicion of using the Hebei factory`s capsules, which contain dangerous levels of the chemical chromium.
Township and county clerks said they had no information about the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video