China drug safety probe nets local council chief
Beijing: A township council chief in northern China has been arrested on suspicion of ordering the torching of a factory that made gelatin capsules from industrial waste.
State broadcaster CCTV said on Sunday that Song Jiangxin had been found to have made a phone call ordering that the factory in Hebei province be set ablaze and all records destroyed. Song`s brother owns the factory.
The scandal is the latest to rock China`s pharmaceutical industry, which sufferers from abundant fakery and substandard ingredients. Another 23 people in eastern China have also been arrested on suspicion of using the Hebei factory`s capsules, which contain dangerous levels of the chemical chromium.
Township and county clerks said they had no information about the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?