China: Earthquake kills 4, injures over 100
Beijing: At least four people were killed and over 100 others injured in the 5.7-magnitude earthquake which has struck a remote mountainous area in southwest China, leaving a trail of destruction.
Three residents have been reported dead in the county of Ninglang in Yunnan province and another one in the neighbouring Yanyuan county in Sichuan province.
As of late last night, 102 people have been found injured due to the quake in Yunnan yesterday.
And 20 among them were in serious conditions, according to the Langcang county government.
The 5.7-magnitude quake struck the border of Yunnan and Sichuan provinces at 3:59 pm (local time) yesterday, followed by a 3.3-magnitude aftershock two minutes later, according to the China Earthquake Networks Centre.
The epicentre was located at the border area between Ninglang and Yanyuan, where the Yi ethnic group live.
The quake was strongly felt in Ninglang, and local authorities have sent rescuers and 1,100 tents, 3,000 quilts and 2,000 cotton-padded clothes to the quake-stricken area.
The quake struck at one of the regions in Yunnan that has high frequency of destructive earthquakes, said Zhang Jianguo, the director of the quakeproof institute with the Yunnan provincial seismological bureau.
It was a tectonical earthquake with a complicated geological structure in its epicentre area, which had several faulted structures extending to various directions, he said.
Telecommunications networks and power supply were affected by the quake in some regions of the quake-hit area.
The Yunnan Provincial Seismological Bureau has dispatched a team to the area to calculate the losses.
A spokesman with the Yanyuan county government told Xinhua that the quake was not strongly felt in the county seat, but many houses in the countryside collapsed. Light to moderate rain will hit the quake-affected
Ninglang county through the coming week, and rainfalls would be concentrated from June 30 to July 01, said Pu Guiming, the chief weather forecaster with the Yunnan provincial meteorological station.
Rescue teams are urged to conduct the relief work in accordance with the weather conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price