China eases birth restrictions for victims

Last Updated: Friday, August 5, 2011 - 18:21

Beijing: The government has relaxed birth
restrictions for families who lost children in a mudslide
disaster in China`s northwest Gansu province last year, a
media report on Friday said.

The mudslide had killed 1,700 people in August last year.
Women in such families, who had undergone family planning
operations, have been allowed to undergo surgery to "untie"
the tubes making it possible for them to have another child.

Liang Jianjun, head of the family planning bureau in
Zhouqu, where the disaster occurred, said the move would cover
women from 27 families, who had undergone such operations and
then lost their children.

"Some of these women are pregnant now," state-run Xinhua
news agency quoted him as saying
China`s family planning policy restricts women in urban
areas from having more than one child.

But families in rural areas and ethnic regions are
allowed to have two children while those in Tibetans dominated
areas are allowed up to three children.

Zhouqu has a high number of people from Tibetan and other
ethnic minorities.

"With people, we can have everything," Yang Chaomei, the
matriarch of a local family that lost all eight children in
the mudslide, was quoted as saying in the report.

Yang`s two daughters-in-law have given birth after the
disaster. She is now hoping the easing of the restriction will
allow her family to have more children, including a son.

PTI



First Published: Friday, August 5, 2011 - 18:21

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus