China-EU centre for clean energy inaugurated
Beijing: China and the European Union
on Friday inaugurated a new centre to jointly promote clean energy
to combat climate change.
European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso
and Zhang Guobao, head of China`s National Energy
Administration, attended the inauguration of the Europe-China
Clean Energy Center based in Tsinghua University.
The Center will act as a platform to provide support
for both Chinese and European energy sector key players, and
its objective is to promote increased use of clean energy,
state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
"The launching of the center, another flagship of
our cooperation, is a major step in our common efforts to
shape a more sustainable, environmental friendly and efficient
energy sector," said Barroso.
"The European Union can not achieve its energy and
climate change objectives alone. We want to make partnership
with friends around the world...There are now very important
prospects for developing many concrete projects within China
and the European Union," Barroso said.
Zhang, also vice minister of China`s National
Development and Reform Commission, said China and the EU
shared similar targets on clean energy and enjoy bright future
for energy cooperation.
"As of the end of 2009, China had introduced about
30,000 technological projects from the EU, among which wind,
photovoltaic and nuclear power projects account for a rather
big proportion," Zhang said.
Zhang said despite the fact that China did not lag
behind on clean energy development, it needed more efforts to
restructure its energy sector and develop clean coal
technology as coal accounted for 70 percent of China`s primary
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Hey, Deepika Padukone is the new Serena but with a GUN! See pic inside
- Pampore attack: LeT's fidayeen preparing for fresh strike on military targets, warn intelligence agencies
- Salman Khan 'rape' remark: NCW to issue summons to actor
- Driving in the rain: Key things you must follow
- Pakistan boss Mickey Arthur undaunted by Australia axe