China-EU centre for clean energy inaugurated
Beijing: China and the European Union
on Friday inaugurated a new centre to jointly promote clean energy
to combat climate change.
European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso
and Zhang Guobao, head of China`s National Energy
Administration, attended the inauguration of the Europe-China
Clean Energy Center based in Tsinghua University.
The Center will act as a platform to provide support
for both Chinese and European energy sector key players, and
its objective is to promote increased use of clean energy,
state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
"The launching of the center, another flagship of
our cooperation, is a major step in our common efforts to
shape a more sustainable, environmental friendly and efficient
energy sector," said Barroso.
"The European Union can not achieve its energy and
climate change objectives alone. We want to make partnership
with friends around the world...There are now very important
prospects for developing many concrete projects within China
and the European Union," Barroso said.
Zhang, also vice minister of China`s National
Development and Reform Commission, said China and the EU
shared similar targets on clean energy and enjoy bright future
for energy cooperation.
"As of the end of 2009, China had introduced about
30,000 technological projects from the EU, among which wind,
photovoltaic and nuclear power projects account for a rather
big proportion," Zhang said.
Zhang said despite the fact that China did not lag
behind on clean energy development, it needed more efforts to
restructure its energy sector and develop clean coal
technology as coal accounted for 70 percent of China`s primary
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared