China executes 4 for drug trafficking
Beijing: China on Tuesday executed four drug smugglers and sentenced 15 others to death sentence as the UN observed International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
A total of 117 people in four provinces of China were sentenced for drug trafficking today, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Beijing said that 9.22 lakh Chinese were sent for "compulsory isolation treatment" in the last four years for drug rehabilitation in the country.
Chen Tianlu, Xu Futai and Wang Zhenzong, all hailing from Taiwan, were executed in Zhangzhou in east China`s Fujian province after being convicted of smuggling a popular club drug across the Taiwan Strait.
Another man was executed by injection in northeast Jilin provinceon for trafficking about 4 kg of methamphetamine.
The executions were carried out after the Supreme People`s Court approved their death sentences, officials with the Intermediate Court of Zhangzhou said.
The executions coincide with the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking being observed by United Nations.
Taiwanese men were convicted of smuggling hundreds of kilograms of ketamine, a drug popular in Taiwan`s nightclubs, from Fujian to Taiwan by boat from 2009 to 2010.
They were arrested in Fujian during drug transactions.
Chen and Xu were sentenced to death in December 2010, while Wang, in a separate case, was sentenced to death in April 2011.
All three had appealed the verdicts, but the Zhangzhou court upheld the original sentences. Drug trafficking is a capital offense in China.
In 2009, Beijing and Taipei signed an agreement to cooperate on combating cross-Strait crimes.
By early 2012, police had jointly busted 10 drug rings operating across the Taiwan Strait and arrested 110 suspects, including 39 Taiwanese.
More than 1.4 tonnes of drugs had been seized, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Meng issued a report on China`s drug control situation at a bimonthly legislative session.
Of the total number of people who underwent rehabilitation therapy, 6.41 lakh drug managed to kick the habit after three years treatment, he said.
The government has helped more than 40,000 drug addicts who recovered from the habit to return to society following rehabilitation through various programs, including employment assistance programs, Meng said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?