China executes Chongqing gang boss amid crackdown
Beijing: A top gangster in western China
has been executed as part of a major crackdown on organized
crime, state media reported on Friday.
Chen Ming, 36, was convicted of heading a criminal
organisation that ran various scams, sold drugs, operated
illegal casinos, and demanded protection money, the official
Xinhua News Agency said.
The gang was also responsible for the death of one
person and assaults on eight others over the past decade,
Xinhua said. It did not say whether Chen was directly
implicated in the violence.
Chen, who was convicted last year by a court in the
city of Chongqing, was executed Thursday, the same day the
Supreme People`s Court upheld his sentence, Xinhua said.
Thirteen members of Chen`s gang were given sentences
of three years to life in prison. The case is part of a
crackdown in sprawling Chongqing that has netted hundreds of
suspects, including 14 high-ranking government and police
officials. Six gang members in the city have been sentenced to
death for crimes including murder and blackmail, of which Chen
was apparently the first to be executed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka