China executes Japanese national over drugs
Beijing: China on Friday executed a Japanese man for drug offences, according to Tokyo`s diplomats and media reports.
"Our office in Dalian was informed this morning that the Intermediate Court of Dalian had executed a condemned Japanese," a Japanese embassy official in Beijing, who declined to be named, told a news agency.
He said the case "was related to drugs", without elaborating, and declined to identify the individual, citing reasons of privacy.
A court official in Dalian, a port city in the northeastern province of Liaoning, declined to comment to a news agency.
Japan`s Jiji Press news agency said Friday`s execution, of a man in his 50s, was the fifth of a Japanese citizen in China in recent years, after four were put to death for drug smuggling in 2010.
That was Beijing`s first use of the death penalty against Japanese nationals since the two countries normalised ties in 1972.
"What penalties should be imposed for what crimes is a domestic matter for (China)," Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters on Friday.
But he added: "Japan has told China that we have a high level of interest in a Japanese national`s execution in the country."
Tensions between the two countries are high over a series of issues including wartime history and disputed islands in the East China Sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them