China executes official for raping minor girls
Beijing: A former Chinese Communist Party official was on Wednesday executed for raping more than 10 minor girls.
Li Xingong, former deputy secretary general of the Yongcheng city committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) in central China`s Henan Province was executed for raping 11 underage girls, Henan Provincial Higher People`s Court announced.
Li was arrested in May 2012 on charges of raping several adolescent girls starting from the second half of 2011.
The Shangqiu City Intermediate People`s Court later sentenced Li to death for raping the adolescents and deprived him of his political rights for life.
Li appealed but was denied by the Henan Provincial Higher People`s Court. The execution was approved by the Supreme People`s Court.
The case triggered widespread public outrage on the Internet after its exposure.
The execution was carried out at a time when China has vowed to beef up protection for juveniles following a series of sexual abuse cases involving children.
The Supreme People`s Court announced last month that courts across the country will come down harder on crimes committed against juveniles, show minimal tolerance toward such offenders and offer the greatest level of protection possible for children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers