China executes official for raping minor girls
Beijing: A former Chinese Communist Party official was on Wednesday executed for raping more than 10 minor girls.
Li Xingong, former deputy secretary general of the Yongcheng city committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) in central China`s Henan Province was executed for raping 11 underage girls, Henan Provincial Higher People`s Court announced.
Li was arrested in May 2012 on charges of raping several adolescent girls starting from the second half of 2011.
The Shangqiu City Intermediate People`s Court later sentenced Li to death for raping the adolescents and deprived him of his political rights for life.
Li appealed but was denied by the Henan Provincial Higher People`s Court. The execution was approved by the Supreme People`s Court.
The case triggered widespread public outrage on the Internet after its exposure.
The execution was carried out at a time when China has vowed to beef up protection for juveniles following a series of sexual abuse cases involving children.
The Supreme People`s Court announced last month that courts across the country will come down harder on crimes committed against juveniles, show minimal tolerance toward such offenders and offer the greatest level of protection possible for children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India