China executes official for raping minor girls
Beijing: A former Chinese Communist Party official was on Wednesday executed for raping more than 10 minor girls.
Li Xingong, former deputy secretary general of the Yongcheng city committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) in central China`s Henan Province was executed for raping 11 underage girls, Henan Provincial Higher People`s Court announced.
Li was arrested in May 2012 on charges of raping several adolescent girls starting from the second half of 2011.
The Shangqiu City Intermediate People`s Court later sentenced Li to death for raping the adolescents and deprived him of his political rights for life.
Li appealed but was denied by the Henan Provincial Higher People`s Court. The execution was approved by the Supreme People`s Court.
The case triggered widespread public outrage on the Internet after its exposure.
The execution was carried out at a time when China has vowed to beef up protection for juveniles following a series of sexual abuse cases involving children.
The Supreme People`s Court announced last month that courts across the country will come down harder on crimes committed against juveniles, show minimal tolerance toward such offenders and offer the greatest level of protection possible for children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog