China executes official for raping minor girls
Beijing: A former Chinese Communist Party official was on Wednesday executed for raping more than 10 minor girls.
Li Xingong, former deputy secretary general of the Yongcheng city committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) in central China`s Henan Province was executed for raping 11 underage girls, Henan Provincial Higher People`s Court announced.
Li was arrested in May 2012 on charges of raping several adolescent girls starting from the second half of 2011.
The Shangqiu City Intermediate People`s Court later sentenced Li to death for raping the adolescents and deprived him of his political rights for life.
Li appealed but was denied by the Henan Provincial Higher People`s Court. The execution was approved by the Supreme People`s Court.
The case triggered widespread public outrage on the Internet after its exposure.
The execution was carried out at a time when China has vowed to beef up protection for juveniles following a series of sexual abuse cases involving children.
The Supreme People`s Court announced last month that courts across the country will come down harder on crimes committed against juveniles, show minimal tolerance toward such offenders and offer the greatest level of protection possible for children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Terrifying video: Chinese woman mauled to death by tiger at Badaling Wildlife Park
- Congress MP moves privilege motion against Naqvi in RS
- Narsingh Pancham Yadav doping scandal: He can't do something like this, says Yogeshwar Dutt
- Preparing for your dream job? Opt for an in-person interview
- Maruti Q1 profit soars 23% to Rs 1,486 crore