China expels legislator for violating discipline
Beijing: China says it has expelled a member of the National Legislature for "serious disciplinary violations" amid a crackdown on corruption ordered by President Xi Jinping.
The National People`s Congress said it took the action against Zhou Wenbin following an investigation. No details were given, although the charge of violating discipline is usually shorthand for bribery, embezzlement, the selling of offices or other forms of corruption.
The official Xinhua News Agency reported on Sunday that Zhou had been dismissed from his post as President of Nanchang University in the southern province of Guangxi on June 18.
Xi has announced a series of measures to cut down on government waste and corruption since taking over as head of the Communist Party in November. The party usually tightly controls information about specific cases.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory