China expels official known for pricey watches
Beijing: China says a provincial safety official notorious for his callous attitude and taste for luxury wristwatches has been expelled from the ruling Communist Party and is facing corruption charges in a sign of the Internet`s growing role in exposing corruption.
The Shaanxi provincial government said provincial safety inspection bureau boss Yang Dacai had been found guilty of "serious violations of discipline" while in office and was suspected of unspecified crimes.
It says he was stripped of his party membership and his case was referred to prosecutors.
Yang found unwelcome fame last year when a photo of him grinning broadly at the scene of a highway bus accident that killed 36 was posted on the Internet. That was followed by pictures of him wearing a range of expensive wristwatches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa