China expels official known for pricey watches
Beijing: China says a provincial safety official notorious for his callous attitude and taste for luxury wristwatches has been expelled from the ruling Communist Party and is facing corruption charges in a sign of the Internet`s growing role in exposing corruption.
The Shaanxi provincial government said provincial safety inspection bureau boss Yang Dacai had been found guilty of "serious violations of discipline" while in office and was suspected of unspecified crimes.
It says he was stripped of his party membership and his case was referred to prosecutors.
Yang found unwelcome fame last year when a photo of him grinning broadly at the scene of a highway bus accident that killed 36 was posted on the Internet. That was followed by pictures of him wearing a range of expensive wristwatches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Watch: Sushant Singh Rajput spills romance in 'Kaun Tujhe' from 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- STOP THIS SHAME! Minor gangraped in Delhi's Jamia Nagar; suspect is juvenile
- Benefits of face scrubs for men
- In awe of the Master! WATCH how Sakshi Malik requested Sachin Tendulkar to take a selfie with her brother
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT