China expels official known for pricey watches
Beijing: China says a provincial safety official notorious for his callous attitude and taste for luxury wristwatches has been expelled from the ruling Communist Party and is facing corruption charges in a sign of the Internet`s growing role in exposing corruption.
The Shaanxi provincial government said provincial safety inspection bureau boss Yang Dacai had been found guilty of "serious violations of discipline" while in office and was suspected of unspecified crimes.
It says he was stripped of his party membership and his case was referred to prosecutors.
Yang found unwelcome fame last year when a photo of him grinning broadly at the scene of a highway bus accident that killed 36 was posted on the Internet. That was followed by pictures of him wearing a range of expensive wristwatches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!