China expresses confidence in N Korea`s leader Kim
Beijing: China`s top foreign policy official has met a North Korean delegation and expressed confidence in the country`s young leader just over a week after Pyongyang conducted a rocket launch that Beijing had discouraged.
The Foreign Ministry said State Councillor Dai Bingguo met a North Korean group led by Kim Yong Il, secretary of the central committee of the ruling Workers` Party and alternate member of the Political Bureau.
Dai says that he was confident that under Kim Jong Un, North Korea will continue to move toward building a prosperous country.
China is the North`s biggest ally but had expressed concern about its rocket launch, which the US said was a cover for testing long-range missile technology. The US suspended food aid to North Korea after the failed launch.
North Korea had touted the Unha-3 rocket that broke apart on April 13 as its most ambitious effort yet to join the exclusive club of space-faring nations. It said the rocket carried an Earth observation satellite, though many nations say the launch was a cover for testing long-range missile technology.
Analysts said Friday`s failure, which appeared to come in the rocket`s first stage, suggests that North Korea is not learning much from its mistakes. Its Unha rocket shots in 1998, 2006 and 2009 are all believed to have ended in failure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre