China expresses ‘deep regret’ over Japanese envoy’
Tokyo: China has expressed regret after a man attacked the official car of the Japanese ambassador in Beijing and ripped of the flag from the vehicle.
Ambassador Uichiro Niwa was not injured in the attack, which took place in Beijing, as he was returning to the embassy.
The Japanese Embassy in Beijing said that it had filed a strong protest with the Chinese Foreign Ministry and that a senior member of the ministry had expressed ‘deep regret’ over the incident, The Japan Times reports.
According to the Japanese Embassy, at least two cars forced Niwa`s car to stop on a major thoroughfare.
A man then emerged from one of the vehicles and attacked the envoy`s car, taking its front flag.
The attack comes in the wake of rising diplomatic tensions and anti-Japanese sentiment over disputed Diaoyu islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!