China flays Dalai Lama over suicides by Tibetans
Beijing: In a thinly-veiled attack on the Dalai Lama, China on Friday said the spate of self immolations by Tibetan Buddhist monks and nuns were "related to separatist forces overseas" and flayed the spiritual leader for inciting his followers.
"The signs show relevant activities are related (to) separatist forces overseas", Chinese Foreign Minister Hong Lei told a media briefing here replying to a query on yesterday`s self immolation by a monk in Tibet.
The nun identified as Qiu Xiang from a nunnery in Dawu county of Garze Tibetan autonomous prefecture is the second nun to attempt self immolation in addition to nine Buddhist monks from Kirti monastery of the same province in the recent months.
While reporting about her death, official Xinhua news agency has said the reasons why she set herself on fire were unclear.
Overseas Tibetan groups have been saying that there was unrest among the Tibetan Buddhist clergy and that those who attempted self immolation shouted slogans demanding the return of Dalai Lama, who went on a self exile to Dharmasala in 1951.
Hong in his verbal attack on Dalai Lama said, "As is well known, except for few calls by extreme religious sects in the world, all religious groups respects life and oppose violence.”
"Not condemning self immolation but playing it up and inciting others to follow example is challenging the common conscience and moral bottom line of human kind", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP