China flays Dalai Lama over suicides by Tibetans
Beijing: In a thinly-veiled attack on the Dalai Lama, China on Friday said the spate of self immolations by Tibetan Buddhist monks and nuns were "related to separatist forces overseas" and flayed the spiritual leader for inciting his followers.
"The signs show relevant activities are related (to) separatist forces overseas", Chinese Foreign Minister Hong Lei told a media briefing here replying to a query on yesterday`s self immolation by a monk in Tibet.
The nun identified as Qiu Xiang from a nunnery in Dawu county of Garze Tibetan autonomous prefecture is the second nun to attempt self immolation in addition to nine Buddhist monks from Kirti monastery of the same province in the recent months.
While reporting about her death, official Xinhua news agency has said the reasons why she set herself on fire were unclear.
Overseas Tibetan groups have been saying that there was unrest among the Tibetan Buddhist clergy and that those who attempted self immolation shouted slogans demanding the return of Dalai Lama, who went on a self exile to Dharmasala in 1951.
Hong in his verbal attack on Dalai Lama said, "As is well known, except for few calls by extreme religious sects in the world, all religious groups respects life and oppose violence.”
"Not condemning self immolation but playing it up and inciting others to follow example is challenging the common conscience and moral bottom line of human kind", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India