China flotilla in Japan dispute island waters
Tokyo: Seven Chinese ships were in waters around islands at centre of bitter dispute with Japan on Tuesday, ahead the anniversary of Tokyo`s nationalisation of part of the chain.
Chinese coastguard flotilla is the biggest seen in waters around the Tokyo-administered Senkakus since eight government ships were tracked there in April, a spokesman for Japanese coastguard said.
Official media in China, citing the State Oceanic Administration (SOA), said it was the 59th "patrol" of the area since September 2012, when Tokyo took the islands into public ownership.
Beijing claims the archipelago as its own and calls the islands the Diaoyus.
The report by Xinhua said China`s vessels had gone as close to the islands as 0.28 nautical miles during the past 12 months, but did not specify when.
Japan`s coastguard said the vessels had entered Japanese territorial waters around 10:30 am (0130 GMT).
The incident came almost a year to the day since the long-running dispute over the ownership of the islands flared into a bitter row that continues to dog relations.
The islands -- believed to harbour vast natural resources below their seabed -- are seen as a potential flashpoint that some observers fear could lead to armed conflict between the Asian giants.
Yesterday, Japan scrambled fighter jets after an unidentified drone flew near the islands. The drone did not enter Japanese airspace.
On Sunday, Japan tracked Chinese bombers that flew in international airspace between two islands in the Okinawa chain. Tokyo said was the first time they had used that route to get to the Pacific.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today
- Subramanian Swamy's piece of advice to Rahul Gandhi - Quit politics to save Congress future
- Strong Indo-US ties to strengthen both economies: White House
- First look of Emraan Hashmi's maiden home production 'Captain Nawab' out! - Pic inside
- Despite public outcry over images of man carrying dead wife, Odisha gives clean chit to hospital