China for cordial relations with neighbours
Beijing: Amid growing concerns over China`s tough stand on various foreign policy issues including maritime disputes and passports with controversial maps, Beijing has sought to assure its neighbours asserting that it has established friendly relations with them.
"We have advanced our ties with other countries and deepened good-neighbourly friendship and cooperation with our neighbours," Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi told foreign diplomats here on Monday in his first briefing after last month`s leadership change.
"We have played responsible and constructive role of a big country in dealing with international and regional hotspot issues, worked actively to push for peaceful settlement of disputes, and stood for non-intervention in others` internal affairs and other basic norms governing international relations," Yang said.
The publication of disputed maps on new e-passports being issued by the Chinese government riled number of neighbours including India, prompting China to initiate counter measures.
While India is using a seal with its official to stamp visas on the passports, Vietnam is issuing visas on separate piece of paper as the map claimed China`s sovereignty over the South China Sea which Vietnam, besides Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia and Taiwan also claimed.
China is in dispute with Japan too regarding claim over islands in the East China Sea.
Beijing plans to step up public diplomacy after last month`s leadership change, in which Vice President Xi Jinping succeeded Hu as leader of the ruling Communist Party of China.
Yang, in his address, said China will work with other nations toward world peace and development.
"China will, together with all other countries, share opportunities, tackle challenges, and make new and greater contribution to the lofty cause of peace and development for mankind," Yang said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof