China garment factory fire claims 14 lives
Beijing: At least 14 people were killed in a fire at an underwear factory in south China Tuesday.
The fire, which broke out at the factory in Chaonan district in Guangdong province in the afternoon, was contained half an hour later, the emergency management office of the provincial government said in a statement.
An initial investigation showed that the fire was the result of arson. Police have arrested a suspect surnamed Liu has been in connection with the incident.
One person was also injured in the fire.
Senior provincial officials have ordered to set up a working team to investigate the cause of the fire and to step up safety measures to avoid similar fatal fires.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory