China garment factory fire claims 14 lives
Beijing: At least 14 people were killed in a fire at an underwear factory in south China Tuesday.
The fire, which broke out at the factory in Chaonan district in Guangdong province in the afternoon, was contained half an hour later, the emergency management office of the provincial government said in a statement.
An initial investigation showed that the fire was the result of arson. Police have arrested a suspect surnamed Liu has been in connection with the incident.
One person was also injured in the fire.
Senior provincial officials have ordered to set up a working team to investigate the cause of the fire and to step up safety measures to avoid similar fatal fires.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win