China gets land in Maldives to construct embassy
Male: China has been allotted a plot in the heart of the Maldivian capital to open its embassy.
Chinese embassy currently works out from a rented complex and the plot has been allotted to it to construct its own building.
The plot with a land area of 3,920 square feet at Majeedhee Magu near the National Stadium, is a stone`s throw away from the Indian High Commission.
China had opened its embassy in November last year in a rented building belonging to the family of former Maldivian Presdient Mohamed Nasheed.
China had then said that it was opening an embassy since ties with the Maldives had grown steadily. Interestingly Chinese tourists constitue the largest chunk of annual visitors to the island chain`s pristine beaches.
Only India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh have an established diplomatic presence in the Maldives, whose capital Male only has a population of about 100,000.
Most other countries work through their embassies in Sri Lanka, 650 kms away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far