`China has to be part of family, not threaten nations`
Washington: China has to be part of a family of nations working to ensure peace and prosperity in the Pacific region and cannot be a country that threatens to go after territories and creates disputes, US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has said.
"It cannot be a China that threatens, to go after their territories and create territorial disputes. They have to be part of a family of nations in that region, working together in order to ensure peace and prosperity," Panetta said at the Georgetown University.
"I sense in the new leadership in China that they recognise the importance of trying to develop that kind of communication. I urged them that we should discuss cyber issues. I urged them that we ought to discuss missile defense issues. And they indicated that they were willing to engage in those kinds of strategic talks," he said.
"But it is going to be very important for China to know that the US, Japan, Korea and other countries in that part of the world are going to do everything they have to do to promote security and prosperity, and that they should be a part of that, not against it," Panetta said.
Responding to a question, Panetta urged both the Japanese and Chinese to exercise good judgment and to try and work with each other to resolve issues peacefully.
"We are in the Pacific. This is a big region. And part of our reason to re-balance to the Pacific is because we think that in many ways our future economic security, our trade relationships, our security relationships are going to be critical in that part of the world," he said.
The US has great allies in Japan and South Korea, other countries are working with it to deal with the challenges, Panetta said.
"There are a set of common challenges here and I said this to the Chinese leaders as well. We`ve got a set of common challenges here. One is our ability to respond to disasters in that part of the world -- the ability of these countries to be able to react when a disaster takes place," he said.
"The ability to deal with the threat of missile proliferation, particularly in North Korea, and the threat that represents to the security of that region," Panetta said.
"The ability to deal with piracy; the ability to deal with cyber issues; the ability to deal with the kind of economic issues that all of us have to be a part in order to provide security; the ability to deal with territorial disputes," Panetta added.
"That`s why the ASEAN nations are a really critical new kind of alliance that we ought to continue to support and encourage to address those issues," Panetta said.
"But to the Chinese, I basically said, `It is in your interest to work with other countries to resolve these issues. Because if your interest is in a Pacific region that can be peaceful and that can prosper in the future, you have to be part of that`," the US Defence Secretary said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’