China high-speed train kills four rail workers: Report
Beijing: A Chinese high-speed train killed four maintenance workers after a communication failure, state media reported today, the latest fatal incident on the country`s flagship rail network.
The D28 train was at least 11 minutes behind schedule when it hit five railway personnel maintaining and cleaning the track during what was supposed to be their "working hour window", the 21st Century Business Herald said.
Four of the staffers, all under 30 and two of them new university graduates, were killed and one injured, said the report, which cited an internal railway circular.
China`s high-speed rail network is the largest in the world, and seen by Beijing as a symbol of the country`s advance.
But the expansion -- which has cost hundreds of billions of dollars -- has seen a series of scandals and widespread allegations of corruption, with accusations that safety has been compromised for speed.
The incident, between Taian and Panjin North in the northeastern province of Liaoning on Friday, was the latest fatal accident on the network.
At least 40 people were killed in a high-speed train crash near Wenzhou in Zhejiang province in July 2011.
Ex-railway minister Liu Zhijun, who campaigned for and oversaw the expansion of the high-speed network, was given a suspended death sentence in July for taking USD 10.6 million in bribes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands