China hosts Syrian govt, Oppn for peace talks
Beijing: China is playing host to Syrian government and opposition groups to promote peace talks between the two sides to end the violence in the Arab country.
China`s foreign minister met with his Syrian counterpart on Wednesday in the latest show of Beijing`s support for Damascus despite its tentative engagement with Syria`s opposition.
Yang Jiechi exchanged views with Walid Moallem on the latest Syrian developments "in a broad and extensive way," the official Xinhua News Agency quoted Yang as saying.
No details were given, although China, along with fellow UN Security Council member Russia, has shielded Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime from UN sanctions over its deadly crackdown on a popular uprising.
Despite that, Beijing has supported the cease-fire plan laid out by special envoy Kofi Annan. The plan is aimed at ending the violence and beginning talks on Syria`s political future.
The UN insists the fragile truce is holding, even though regime forces have been hammering the rebellious city of Homs with artillery for days.
China has sent envoys to meet with various parties in the conflict and says it plans to host opposition figures soon.
Despite the continuing violence, the plan put forward by Annan, the joint UN-Arab League emissary, is the only one a deadlocked international community could rally behind and is seen as the only practical way forward. China and Syria`s other allies back the initiative because, unlike an Arab League plan earlier this year, it does not require Assad to step down ahead of transition talks.
China, sensitive to anti-government unrest in minority areas in Xinjiang and Tibet, is habitually opposed to such outside intervention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA