China hosts Syrian govt, Oppn for peace talks
Beijing: China is playing host to Syrian government and opposition groups to promote peace talks between the two sides to end the violence in the Arab country.
China`s foreign minister met with his Syrian counterpart on Wednesday in the latest show of Beijing`s support for Damascus despite its tentative engagement with Syria`s opposition.
Yang Jiechi exchanged views with Walid Moallem on the latest Syrian developments "in a broad and extensive way," the official Xinhua News Agency quoted Yang as saying.
No details were given, although China, along with fellow UN Security Council member Russia, has shielded Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime from UN sanctions over its deadly crackdown on a popular uprising.
Despite that, Beijing has supported the cease-fire plan laid out by special envoy Kofi Annan. The plan is aimed at ending the violence and beginning talks on Syria`s political future.
The UN insists the fragile truce is holding, even though regime forces have been hammering the rebellious city of Homs with artillery for days.
China has sent envoys to meet with various parties in the conflict and says it plans to host opposition figures soon.
Despite the continuing violence, the plan put forward by Annan, the joint UN-Arab League emissary, is the only one a deadlocked international community could rally behind and is seen as the only practical way forward. China and Syria`s other allies back the initiative because, unlike an Arab League plan earlier this year, it does not require Assad to step down ahead of transition talks.
China, sensitive to anti-government unrest in minority areas in Xinjiang and Tibet, is habitually opposed to such outside intervention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price