China increasingly assertive in ties with India: US official
Washington: China has become increasingly assertive in its relationship with India, a US official has said, citing the simmering mutual distrust that continues to plague the ties between the two neighbours.
"China was newly assertive in its relations with India this year," Carolyn Bartholomew, Commissioner of the US-China Economic and Security Review Commission, told lawmakers during a Congressional hearing.
Testifying before the House Armed Services Committee, she said the Sino-Indian tensions flared in early 2013, underlining the simmering mutual distrust that continues to plague the ties, particularly regarding the contested border.
"Nevertheless, the potential for periodic low-level confrontations between border patrols to escalate likely will persist. Indian media have reported several additional albeit briefer incursions by Chinese troops since the April standoff," she said, recalling the recent spate of Chinese incursions.
"Furthermore, both China and India continue to boost their militaries` capabilities on the border, adding to mutual suspicion," Bartholomew said, adding that this has left both sides sensitive to each other`s border activities and disposed toward worst-case perceptions of the other sides` intentions.
Bartholomew said Ely Ratner and Alexander Sullivan of the Center for a New American Security warn: "More intense strategic competition between India and China would reverberate throughout the continent, exacerbating tensions in Central Asia, the Indian Ocean and Southeast Asia. Disruptions to the Asian engine of economic growth caused by these tensions could debilitate the global economy."
She said in its ongoing examination of China`s foreign policy, the Commission assesses that China increasingly is asserting itself on the global stage to protect more actively Beijing`s interests.
This trend was reflected in recent statements by China`s top leaders.
In late October, President Xi Jinping insisted that China "be more active in blueprinting diplomatic strategy and undertaking diplomatic work."
"The impact of China gradually taking on a more assertive global role will be significant. In particular, Beijing may become more willing to use its increasing political and economic clout to more openly impose a higher cost on countries whose actions and policies challenge China`s interests.
"This trend has significant implications for the United States, particularly if China`s foreign policies undermine or challenge America`s," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday