China indicates Nobel feud with Norway still on
Beijing: China signaled no end on Wednesday to a two-year-old frost in ties with Norway prompted by the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to imprisoned Chinese writer Liu Xiaobo.
Comments from Assistant Foreign Minister Ma Zhaoxu were the government`s first on the tensions since Chinese writer Mo Yan won the Nobel for literature in October. That victory, the first literature win by a Chinese citizen, was widely cheered by the Chinese government, in stark contrast to the condemnation with which it greeted Liu`s award.
Ma told reporters it remained up to Norway to repair the rift that has seen trade ties disrupted and political contacts put on hold.
Specialty products with a strong national identity such as fjord-farmed salmon have been slapped with import restrictions and Norwegian companies doing business in China have had problems with staff visas and other obstacles.
"I hope Norway will value bilateral relations and work for the restoration and development of ties," Ma told reporters at a briefing.
Repeating previous statements, Ma accused Norway`s government of supporting the Nobel jury`s 2010 decision, despite the fact that Oslo cannot interfere with its rulings, whether it agrees with them or not. The award infuriated China, which accused Norway of honoring a criminal.
Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao is due to attend next week`s Asia-Europe Meetings in Laos alongside Norwegian officials who are taking part in the gathering for the first time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH