China insists diplomatic solution to resolve Iranian N-issue
Beijing: China on Tuesday said it will continue
to press for a diplomatic solution to resolve the Iranian
nuclear issue and gave no sign of giving up its opposition to
US-backed move to impose fresh UN sanctions on Tehran.
China still regards dialogue and talks as the best
method in settling the Iranian nuclear issue, a Chinese
Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said here.
Representatives of the five permanent members of the UN
Security Council -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the
United States -- and Germany, discussed possible steps over
fresh sanctions on Iran last Thursday in New York.
"Such discussions does not mean that the door for
dialogue and talks has been closed," she said answering a
question during a regular press briefing.
The US and other western countries have been pushing
for a fourth round of UN sanctions to restrict Iran`s nuclear
ambitions, which they say are aimed at developing nuclear
Iran has denied the accusation and stressed its nuclear
programme was solely for peaceful purposes and intended to
generate electricity for its population.
Since 2006, the Security Council has slapped three
rounds of sanctions against Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog