China issues red alert to apprehend gang of traffickers
Beijing: Chinese police have issued a red
alert to detain 10 suspects involved in abduction and
trafficking of children and women, a day after a court
sentenced two people to death for the same crime.
China`s Ministry of Public Security (MPS) has issued
"top-level orders" for the arrest of 10 people at large who
were suspected to be involved in the abduction and trafficking
of children and women, Xinhua news agency reported today.
The police are soliciting clues from the public and
announced 50,000 yuan (USD 7,475) reward for information about
the whereabouts of the suspects. The MPS issued orders for the
arrest of 20 people-trafficking suspects in April and June
2009 of whom 19 had been arrested.
Yesterday, a Chinese court in the eastern Fujian
Province sentenced two people to death for abducting and
trafficking children. Li Diji and Wu Suiqing were given death
sentences by the Intermediate People`s Court of Quanzhou City
They were also deprived of their political rights for
life and had their personal properties confiscated, according
to a court statement.
The criminal organisation, including the two people
and 11 others, sold 46 abducted male infants aged below one
year to buyers in rural areas in Anxi County and Yongchun
County in Quanzhou from 2007 to 2009, charging 30,000 to
40,000 yuan (USD 4,482 to 5,976) per infant, it said.
The court convicted Li and Wu of participating in the
abduction and trafficking of 23 and 17 infants, respectively.
Eleven of their accomplices received varying sentences
for purchasing abducted infants, selling them or harbouring
the traffickers. Trafficking in women and children is on the
rise in China as thousands of cases were reported in the
As many as 10,621 women and 5,896 children who had
been abducted for human trafficking were freed by Chinese
police in a special crackdown launched since April last year.
In the campaign, police nationwide apprehended 2,398
human trafficking gangs and handled 13,500 such cases,
according to the media reports. In addition to this, 15,673
suspects were under criminal detention and administrative
penalties were handed over to 1,518 people.
Also, police have stepped up measures to handover the
abducted children to their biological parents, including
building a database that collects the DNA of those children
who may have fallen victims to human trafficking and their
The database had helped 813 children to find their
biological parents through DNA matching, reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow