China issues warning over Super Typhoon Usagi
Beijing: Chinese authorities on Friday issued a disaster relief alert for typhoon Usagi, expected to hit coastal regions of southern China`s Guangdong Province on September 22.
The warning, issued by the National Disaster Reduction Commission and the Ministry of Civil Affairs, asked civil authorities to prepare for emergencies and to minimise possible losses caused by the typhoon, the 19th to strike China this year.
The Commission further asked authorities to strengthen vigilance, monitor any changes to Usagi`s track and issue warnings in a timely manner.
The centre of Usagi, one of the strongest typhoons to hit China`s southeastern coast this year, was at 625 km southeast of Taiwan`s Cape Eluanbi early on Friday.
It will continue to strengthen as it moves northwest at a speed of up to 20 km an hour, the National Meteorological Centre forecast.
According to a warning issued by Taiwan`s meteorological authority on Friday afternoon, severe rainstorms might occur in the island`s eastern and southern regions between Friday and Saturday afternoon.
The authority called for efforts to guard against landslides, falling stones and floods in affected regions.
As strong winds and waves lashed coastal areas of the island, officials said people planning seaside activities should be particularly cautions.
Taipei and surrounding areas may be affected by strong gales brought about by the typhoon, the warning said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA