China jails fugitive millionaire for 15 years
Beijing: A Chinese millionaire who fled the
country in 2004 to escape fraud charges was sentenced to 15
years in jail on Saturday, his lawyer said.
Zeng Hanlin, 66, spent seven years in Canada, but was
deported in March after authorities there dismissed concerns
he would be tortured or executed if he returned to China.
He was tried and convicted of fraud in November over a
stock scheme linked to a failed business merger.
Zeng`s lawyer Yang Zhaodong said his client now had
10 days to lodge an appeal after a court in the southwestern
city of Chengdu sentenced him to 15 years in prison.
"Zeng was thinking of an appeal, but hasn`t made the
final decision," Yang said.
Canada, which does not use capital punishment, bans the
return of prisoners to countries where they might be put to
Last year, Canada deported alleged Chinese smuggling
kingpin Lai Changxing after a 12-year legal battle when
Beijing issued an unusual promise not to execute him if he was
Zeng`s son, Sam Zeng, said his father was "100 percent
innocent", calling his trial a "fraud", and pledged to raise
the issue during Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper`s
visit to Beijing next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Must watch VIDEO: When James Vince, Joe Root teamed-up to take possibly the best slip catch in Test cricket history
- Arun Jaitley seeks Japanese investments; meets SoftBank CEO
- German nationalist slammed over racist comment on Jerome Boateng
- 3D model demonstrates how sea waves transport materials within aquatic ecosystems
- Two legends, one pic! Amitabh Bachchan shares memorable moment with father Harivansh Rai Bachchan