China: Jilted lover executed for killing lady love
Beijing: A Chinese man convicted of killing
a young woman and her three-year-old brother after his offer
of marriage was refused was executed today in Zhaotong City in
south-west China, amid a public outcry demanding his death.
Changkui, 29, pleaded guilty to raping 19-year-old Wang
Jiafei before killing her and her brother Wang Jiahong in the
village of Yingge in May 2009 in Yunnan.
Li was executed by the Zhaotong Intermediate People`s
Court after the Supreme People`s Court (SPC) approved the
death penalty, Court said in a statement.
The execution came after the Yunnan Provincial Higher
People`s Court sentenced Li to death in August, after he was
tried for the third time.
The sentence overturned a lenient one made by the same
court, which sparked public outcry demanding that Li be
sentenced to death.
The SPC supported the verdict the Provincial Higher Court
made after the second retrial, saying that all the trial
procedures were conducted according to the law, and the facts
were reliable, clear and sufficient, and the conviction and
measurement of Li`s crimes were accurate and proper, Xinhua
Months earlier, the Provincial Higher Court in the second
trial had given Li the death penalty with a two-year reprieve,
almost tantamount to life imprisonment in China, overturning
the death sentence made by the Zhaotong Intermediate People`s
Court in July last year.
The Provincial Higher Court said the second retrial was
made after the relatives appealed to the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH