China kicks off once-in-a-decade power transfer
Beijing: China`s new advisory legislative body began its annual session on Sunday commencing the once-in-a-decade power transfer to a new leadership headed by Xi Jinping from the outgoing government led by Hu Jintao.
The 2,200-member Chinese People`s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) comprising, perhaps for the first time with majority of non-ruling Communist Party members, began its annual session kicking off China`s yearly political event during which its legislators meet.
The CPPCC, an advisory body unlike the National People`s Congress (NPC), has in its ranks top film stars and literary personalities like Jackie Chan and last year`s winner of Nobel Prize for literature Mo Yan besides top sportsmen and religious personalities.
Outgoing President Hu followed by the newly-elected Communist Party leader Xi Jinping along with a mix of old and new leaders took the podium of the CPPCC inaugural session telecast live from the Great Hall of the People.
Xi, 59, who took over as the Party and Military Chief would be formally nominated as President when NPC begins its session on March 5 marking the end of the era of Hu and Premier Wen Jiabao who steered the country for a decade during which China emerged as the second largest economy after the United States.
While the power transfer which began with the election of Xi as Party leader last November went on smoothly so far, the next week was regarded crucial as all top government appointments including the new cabinet would be announced.
While Xi`s deputy, Li Keqiang was tipped to take over as the new Premier, the present Foreign Minister Yang Jeichi is speculated to take over as the State Councillor succeeding Dai Bingguo, the top Chinese diplomat who acted as China`s chief negotiator for India, US, Korea and Russia.
The new regime is eagerly awaited as the Chinese government has been virtually paralysed for the past four months due to impending political changes.
After taking over power, the new leadership would decide the fate of disgraced party leader Bo Xilai who is in custody facing a host of charges including sex, sleaze and corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh