China lands jet on aircraft carrier for first time, US not surprised
Washington: China`s successful first landing of a fighter jet on its aircraft career does not come as a surprise, the Pentagon said on Monday, reiterating its call for transparency from China on its military built up.
"We are aware of media reports that Chinese successfully landed an aircraft on the deck of a career. This would come as no surprise. We have been monitoring Chinese military development for some time," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters during an off camera news conference here.
"As you know the overall goal in our relationship with China is to develop a closer military relationship one that is more transparent and one that leads to ability on both sides to promote better peace and stability in the Asia Pacific region," he said in response to a question.
"I am not aware if we were informed of this particular development, but they are not required to do so," Little said when asked if China informed the US about its latest successful military built up, which was first reported by Xinhua, the state news agency.
"Many Chinese and foreigners consider the Liaoning (aircraft career) a symbol of China`s military modernisation and its desire to extend its combat capacity," The New York Times said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala