China landslide: 18 students among 19 dead
Beijing: Nineteen people, including 18 school children, buried under a huge landslide which engulfed a school in southwest China have been killed, the rescuers said on Friday.
The death toll in yesterday`s landslide has risen to 19 as one more body was retrieved, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The dead included 18 primary school students who were present in Shangba Primary School in Yunnan Province even though it was closed for National Day holidays.
The children came to attend a special class arranged for making up the lost time during the recent earthquake that ravaged the area. They were preparing for the special classes when the landslide struck.
The landslide also blocked a river nearby, forming a barrier lake that is 15 meters wide and seven meters deep, a spokesman said.
Yiliang was struck by multiple earthquakes on September 7, which left 81 people dead and 800 others injured.
Three buildings of the school were also damaged in the earthquakes, forcing over 30 students to have lessons at the nearby Tiantou Primary School.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video