China landslide death toll rises to 23: Media
Beijing: The death toll in a massive
landslide in north China rose to 23 today, as rescuers battled
through the night to clear debris in an apparently fruitless
search for survivors, state media reported.
The landslide occurred early yesterday in Shanxi
province`s Zhongyang county, engulfing six makeshift homes
where the families of migrant coal miners were living, state
news agency Xinhua said.
Reports initially said three people were killed and 20
missing, but the toll steadily went up as more than 300 rescue
workers uncovered body after body through the night, it said.
An investigation has been launched into the cause of the
landslide, which occurred near the mine where the workers were
Shanxi is the centre of China`s coal mining industry,
which is notorious for its poor safety record.
Official figures show that more than 3,200 workers died
in collieries last year, but independent labour groups say the
actual figure could be much higher because many accidents are
covered up to avoid costly mine shutdowns.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India