China launches Arabic-language TV channel
Beijing: Chinese state television launched
an Arabic-language channel beamed to the Middle East and
Africa on Saturday as part of efforts to expand the communist
government`s media influence abroad.
The 24-hour channel will air in 22 Arabic-speaking
countries, reaching a total population of nearly 300 million
people, China Central Television said in a statement.
The channel "will serve as an important bridge to
strengthen communication and understanding between China and
Arab countries," said a CCTV vice president, Zhang Changming,
in the statement.
Beijing is carrying out a multi-billion-dollar effort to
raise the profile of its state media abroad by expanding CCTV,
the Communist Party newspaper People`s Daily and the official
Xinhua News Agency.
The effort has a budget of 45 billion yuan (USD 6.6
billion), according to a report last month by the Hong Kong
newspaper South China Morning Post.
The Arabic channel will carry news, feature stories,
entertainment and education programs and will gradually expand
its offerings, CCTV said. The network already broadcasts in
English, French and Spanish as well as in Mandarin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble