China launches its largest patrol vessel
Beijing: China launched its largest and most advanced patrol vessel on Saturday in a bid to maintain its marine sovereignty and enhance its rescue efficiency, Xinhua reported.
Launched in Wuhan, a city in Hubei province, the ship -- Haixun01 -- is the first Chinese patrol vessel to simultaneously incorporate marine inspection and rescue functions.
It can accommodate 200 people rescued at sea and will be equipped with devices to offer basic medical treatment and surgeries. It also has a helipad so airborne search and rescue missions can be carried out from it.
The vessel will carry out missions regarding maritime inspection, safety monitoring, rescue, oil spill detection and handling, said Xu Guoyi, the head of the Shanghai Maritime Bureau, which will manage the ship.
It is expected to be put into service by the end of this year, Xu added.
The 5,418-tonne Haixun01 is 128.6 metre long and has a maximum sailing distance of 10,000 nautical miles (18,520 km) without refuelling, said Tang Gongjie, the general manager of Wuchang Shipbuilding Industry Company Ltd, the builder of the ship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test