China: Man jailed for 3 yrs for mercy killing of mother
Beijing: A Chinese migrant worker has been sentenced to three years in jail for acceding to his paralysed mother`s request for mercy killing.
Deng Mingjian, 41, was sentenced to three years in jail with a reprieve period of four years for intentional homicide, the Panyu District People`s Court ruling said.
Deng purchased two bottles of pesticide on May 16, 2011 at the request of his mother Li Shulan, 73, who suffered from hemiplegia for 20 years, the ruling said.
She died the same day just minutes after drinking the pesticide, state-run Xinhua news agency reported today.
Deng was described as a "filial son" and was said to have taken care of his mother for decades.
Several of his neighbours and relatives asked the court to give him a lenient sentence for this reason.
The court considered Deng`s guilty plea and the appeals of the public in making its ruling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM