China: Man jailed for 3 yrs for mercy killing of mother
Beijing: A Chinese migrant worker has been sentenced to three years in jail for acceding to his paralysed mother`s request for mercy killing.
Deng Mingjian, 41, was sentenced to three years in jail with a reprieve period of four years for intentional homicide, the Panyu District People`s Court ruling said.
Deng purchased two bottles of pesticide on May 16, 2011 at the request of his mother Li Shulan, 73, who suffered from hemiplegia for 20 years, the ruling said.
She died the same day just minutes after drinking the pesticide, state-run Xinhua news agency reported today.
Deng was described as a "filial son" and was said to have taken care of his mother for decades.
Several of his neighbours and relatives asked the court to give him a lenient sentence for this reason.
The court considered Deng`s guilty plea and the appeals of the public in making its ruling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them