China: Man jailed for 3 yrs for mercy killing of mother
Beijing: A Chinese migrant worker has been sentenced to three years in jail for acceding to his paralysed mother`s request for mercy killing.
Deng Mingjian, 41, was sentenced to three years in jail with a reprieve period of four years for intentional homicide, the Panyu District People`s Court ruling said.
Deng purchased two bottles of pesticide on May 16, 2011 at the request of his mother Li Shulan, 73, who suffered from hemiplegia for 20 years, the ruling said.
She died the same day just minutes after drinking the pesticide, state-run Xinhua news agency reported today.
Deng was described as a "filial son" and was said to have taken care of his mother for decades.
Several of his neighbours and relatives asked the court to give him a lenient sentence for this reason.
The court considered Deng`s guilty plea and the appeals of the public in making its ruling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured