China media threatens Vietnam over oil rig row
Beijing: China should give Vietnam a "lesson it deserves to get" if Hanoi ratchets up tension in the South China Sea, an aggressive editorial in state-run media said on Tuesday.
The editorial in the Global Times newspaper comes after Vietnam reacted furiously to a decision by Beijing to move a deep-water drilling rig into disputed waters for the first time.
Hanoi labelled the move "illegal" and demanded the rig withdraw from the area close to the Paracel islands, which are claimed by Vietnam but controlled by China, which calls them Xisha and took control of the whole group after a battle with the US-backed South Vietnamese regime in 1974, as US troops withdrew from Vietnam.
Beijing claims almost the whole of the South China Sea, which is believed could sit atop vast oil and gas deposits.
It frequently trades diplomatic barbs over oil exploration and fishing rights with its neighbours, including the Philippines and Vietnam.
"We believe Hanoi has no guts to attack China`s drilling platform directly," said the Global Times, which has close links to the ruling Communist Party.
"If Vietnam takes further actions in Xisha, the level of China`s countermeasures must be elevated.
"China should evaluate whether Vietnam would stick its head out and become a more aggressive provocateur than the Philippines. If so, China should alter its Vietnam policy and give Hanoi a lesson it deserves to get."
China and Vietnam fought a brief but bloody border war in 1979 which ended with Chinese forces withdrawing and both Hanoi and Beijing claiming victory.
The two countries also have a simmering territorial row over the Spratly Islands, another South China Sea chain of islets and reefs, where the Philippines, Taiwan, Brunei and Malaysia also have overlapping claims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH