China military planes flew close to disputed isles: Report
Tokyo: Chinese military planes, mostly fighter jets, made more than 40 flights close to Tokyo-controlled islands at the centre of a territorial dispute on a single day this week, a press report said on Saturday.
The flights took place on Tuesday, when eight Chinese marine surveillance ships entered the 12-nautical-mile territorial zone off the islands in the East China Sea, which Japan calls the Senkakus and China calls the Diaoyus, the Sankei Shimbun newspaper reported.
The conservative daily, citing senior government officials, said F-15 fighter planes from an airbase on the Japanese island of Okinawa scrambled to intercept the Chinese aircraft which flew in waves towards the skies over the islands.
"It was an unprecedented threat," one of the officials was quoted as saying.
Another said: "If such a show of force continues, it is feared it could lead to a situation where the (Japanese) air defence force may not be able to cope."
The report said the military planes included updated Sukhoi Su-27 and Su-30 fighter aircraft.
The report, which did not say whether the planes intruded into Japan`s airspace, could not be immediately confirmed by Japan`s Defence Ministry.
Chinese government ships have frequently sailed around the five Tokyo-controlled islands in recent months sparking diplomatic clashes.
But Tuesday`s flotilla was the biggest to sail into the disputed waters in a single day since Tokyo nationalised part of the island chain in September.
On December 13, a Y-12 turbo-prop plane from China`s State Oceanic Administration breached airspace over the disputed islands, prompting the launch of Japanese F-15s.
It was the first known incursion ever by a Chinese plane into Japanese airspace, the government said at the time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees