China mine death toll up to 106: Spokesman
Hegang (China): Rescuers have found two more
bodies in a coal mine in north-eastern China that was hit by a
massive gas blast, bringing the confirmed death toll to 106, a
mine spokesman told agency on Wednesday.
The new toll makes Saturday`s tragedy in the city of
Hegang in northeastern China the deadliest reported accident
in the country`s disaster-prone mining industry for more than
Officials had previously confirmed 104 people dead and
four missing but a spokesman for the majority state-owned
Xinxing mine said two bodies were recovered early this
"We have found two of the missing people," spokesman
Zhang Jinguang told agency.
He said rescuers were still trying to reach the other two
missing miners to confirm their fate but the leader of the
rescue effort, Zhang Fucheng, had already yesterday that they
were "definitely dead".
The recovery of the two bodies makes the disaster the
deadliest in China since 123 people were killed when a mine in
southern Guangdong province flooded in August 2005.
Relatives of victims killed and hurt in Saturday`s blast
have angrily demanded answers about the disaster as officials
said a preliminary probe pointed to poor management at the
mine, one of China`s oldest and largest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...