China mulls tougher penalty for sex with underage prostitutes
Beijing: China plans to amend a law to declare sex with underage prostitutes as rape, which if passed could entail more harsh punishment.
Under the current law, people who have sex with prostitutes under 14-years-old face a maximum of 15 years in prison, while those convicted of raping a child may face the death sentence.
No timetable for the amendment, however, was given by Zang Tiewei, an official with the Commission for Legislative Affairs of the National People`s Congress (NPC).
Speaking at a press conference on the sidelines of the ongoing NPC session, Zang said the legislature has carried out multiple investigations on the issue and listened to opinions from scholars, various departments and legislators.
Zang said the legislature also analysed a large number of such cases from grassroots judicial department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!