China must talk less, act more: Daily
Beijing: Chinese people have become fed up with empty talk, a state-run daily said Saturday, stressing that China needs to take "down-to-earth actions".
The Global Times article came two days after Communist Party of China general secretary Xi Jinping said: "Empty talk is useless, only hard work can achieve the revival of a nation."
The Global Times said this shows "we have become fed up with empty talk". "In today`s IT era, everyone has a microphone..."
It said China used to be a country of "doers" but it is now changing into a country of "talkers".
"This is significant, as talking itself is a symbol of democracy, but too much talk can easily cause the country to fall into the trap of democracy," said the daily.
"The significance of the internet as a channel for making voices heard is much more important in China than it is in the West. The internet`s power in driving social change is amazing.
"It seems that all the Chinese citizens are now learning again how to speak, whether it is public opinion leaders or officials.
"It is a new trend in China, but it is important to make sure this trend will help push China forward," the article added.
The daily went on to say that the big reforms and progress made by China over the past three decades were actually realized without much debate.
"There wasn`t much discussion about the institutionalization of the top leadership changes, but it`s been realized through very steady steps. It also finding expression in China`s rise, which has formed a pushing force from bottom to top in making reforms happen," it noted.
Global Times stressed it was not against a diversity of debates based on different theories.
"But as soon as the debate becomes heavier than action and when society is dominated by all kinds of exciting slogans, we might lead our country onto a wrong track.
"Xi`s emphasis on hard work directly points to China`s present and future. China needs comprehensive modernization, opening-up and a diversity of public opinions, but China also needs down-to-earth actions," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly