China naval fleet seen off northern Japan
Tokyo: A Chinese naval fleet was today spotted sailing for the first time through an international strait between northern Japan and Russia`s far east, the Japanese defence ministry said.
The two missile destroyers, two frigates and a supply ship passed through the Soya Strait from the Sea of Japan to the Sea of Okhotsk early today, the ministry said.
The channel, also known as La Perouse, separates the Russian island of Sakhalin and the northernmost Japanese island of Hokkaido.
The five ships took part in joint naval exercises with Russia from July 5-12 off Vladivostok.
Two other Chinese naval ships which also took part in the drills were seen moving into the East China Sea yesterday.
The purpose of the Chinese fleet`s passage through the Soya Strait is not known, Kyodo news agency quoted a ministry official as saying.
Yesterday a fleet of 16 Russian naval ships was seen moving through the Soya Strait into the Sea of Okhotsk, the ministry said.
China and Russia held the joint naval exercises, their second such drill, amid regional concerns about China`s growing maritime power.
Tensions have been growing over China`s island disputes with Japan and other neighbours.
Chinese government surveillance ships have frequently approached the Tokyo-controlled Senkaku islands in the East China Sea, which are also claimed by China as the Diaoyus, since Japan nationalised some of them last September.
Chinese army chief of general staff General Fang Fenghui earlier said the joint drills were "not targeting any third party", according to the official Chinese Xinhua news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore