China needs democracy: Chinese activist
New Delhi: Chinese activist and columnist Michael Anti said here Saturday that internet censorship in his country was hurting the young and added that China needed democracy.
"Youth in China are being taught only what the government textbooks say and have limited knowledge. The books spread hate and lies. The country needs democracy immediately," Anti said.
"We need democracy to protect the poor who are suffering because of corruption and negligence on the part of the regime," he added.
The activist was speaking on the sidelines of the `TEDxYouth`, an annual event that brought speakers from around the globe to debate and interact with children aged between 13-18 years from Delhi schools.
The day-long conference was held at the American Embassy school and streamed live to multiple locations across India.
"In this age of globalisation, Chinese citizens need to have a global perspective on issues. However, anything that criticizes, the Communist regime gets banned," said Anti.
Anti said the Chinese regime will continue to rule as anyone who dares to raise his voice against the censorship was jailed.
"Moreover, people have now got used to adjust with the situation," he said.
Anti came into the limelight after his political blog was deleted by Microsoft in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video