China, North Korea hold strategic talks in Beijing
Beijing: Negotiators from North Korea and China held strategic talks in Beijing on Wednesday following a rough patch in relations between the communist allies and Pyongyang`s surprise weekend call for dialogue with the US.
North Korean First Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan arrived for talks at the Foreign Ministry with Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Yesui that were expected to focus on bilateral relations and the situation on the Korean Peninsula.
Beijing hopes the discussions will lead to a resumption of long-stalled six-nation nuclear disarmament talks hosted by China and also grouping North and South Korea, Russia, Japan, and the US.
North Korea angered China, its most important ally, with a long-range rocket launch and nuclear test over recent months, leading Beijing to back tightened UN sanctions and crack down on illicit North Korean banking activity.
That apparently prompted a visit last month to Beijing by top North Korean envoy Vice Marshal Choe Ryong Hae, who was quoted as saying Pyongyang was "willing to take active measures" to return to talks.
Choe`s visit was followed by renewed outreach to South Korea, and on Sunday, Pyongyang surprised many by proposing "senior-level" talks with the US to ease tensions and negotiate a formal peace treaty ending the Korean War, which concluded only with an armistice.
However, in its invitation, North Korea`s National Defense Commission, the powerful governing body led by leader Kim Jong Un, insisted that there be no preconditions to talks and no demands that Pyongyang give up its prized nuclear assets unless Washington is willing to do the same.
The Obama administration responded that it was open to dialogue, but wants "credible negotiations" that involve North Korean compliance with UN resolutions and would lead to a nuclear-free North.
The proposal is expected to be discussed in meetings this week in Washington involving US, Japanese and South Korean officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM