China not for war in South China Sea
Beijing: The Chinese military has denied that Beijing is preparing for war to defend territory in the South China Sea.
Defence ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng was speaking Tuesday at a news conference on the eve of the 85th anniversary of the People`s Liberation Army, the China Daily reported Wednesday.
"China has indisputable sovereign rights over the South China Sea islands and their adjacent waters, and the military opposes any outside military intervention in this area," Geng said.
China`s territorial dispute with the Philippines in the South China Sea escalated sharply earlier this year after a Philippine warship harassed fishing boats in waters near China`s Huangyan Island.
The Philippines disputes China`s sovereignty.
Zhai Dequan, deputy secretary-general of the China Arms Control and Disarmament Association, believed that Geng`s comments were a message to Vietnam, the Philippines and Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown