China objects to Japan-Taiwan talks on disputed islands
Beijing: While staking claim to the disputed islands in the East China Sea, China Monday took exception to Japan`s plans to negotiate with Taiwan about fishing in the waters around the islands.
"I want to point out China`s position regarding Taiwan`s contact with foreign countries is consistent and clear. We hope relevant countries will earnestly abide by the one-China principle and properly handle relevant issues", Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a media briefing here.
He was responding to question on Japanese Foreign Minister Koichiro Gemba`s recent statement that the Japanese government hopes to resume talks with Taiwan on fishing in the waters around the disputed islands, called Senkaku by Japan and Diaoyu Do by China.
China`s stand objecting to Japan negotiating with Taiwan comes after Beijing supported earlier Taiwanese Coast Guard entering into the disputed waters asserting that it belonged to Taiwan.
China`s claim on the islands is partly backed by assertions that historically both Taiwan and the islands formed part of it.
Taiwan separated from mainland and remained a separate entity since 1949.
Hong said Japan should correct its mistakes and return to negotiations to resolve the dispute.
On the United States` assertion that it has taken no position on the China-Japan territorial dispute, Hong said China hopes US will "walk the talk".
He said Chinese marine surveillance ships and fishery patrol ships will continue to perform their official duties in waters near the island.
Fishery authorities said five fishery patrol ships were in the area during the National Day holiday which ended yesterday backed by four Chinese marine surveillance ships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town