China offers EU solar cell export quota: Report
Beijing: China has offered a quota for its solar panel exports to the European Union, state media reported on Friday with the two sides embroiled in a series of trade disputes.
But the amount is less than 20 per cent below total Chinese exports last year, and conditional on their being taxed at low or zero rates, the Shanghai Securities News said.
The two economic giants are in negotiations after the EU last month imposed an average anti-dumping tariff of 11.8 per cent on solar panel imports from China.
The tax will rise to more than 47 per cent next month if no deal is reached.
Brussels and Beijing are also involved in a series of disputes covering other products ranging from steel pipes and telecom equipment to wine and chemicals, sparking fears of a trade war.
China offered to cap its annual exports of solar components to the EU at 10 gigawatts, or half of the country`s yearly output, the newspaper said, citing Wang Sicheng, a researcher with top economic planning agency National Development and Reform Commission.
But shipments within the quota should be either tariff free or low rate, it said, and those over the limit taxed "according to relevant rules".
Last year, China sold solar components with a generating capacity of 12 gigawatts of the EU`s total of 16.9 gigawatts installed over the year, according to previous Chinese media reports.
Beijing is trying to expand the domestic market to help the sector, which is reeling from severe overcapacity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof