China on high alert over disputed Huangyan Island
Beijing: China on Friday said it will remain on high alert over Huangyan Island after a group of Filipinos reportedly planned to sail to the island in the South China Sea.
"Huangyan Island is part of China`s territory," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said at a briefing here responding to reports that the group, headed by a retired Filipino military officer, intended to travel to the island to plant a Philippine flag.
The officer was reportedly barred from doing so by Philippine President Benigno Aquino III.
"We have taken note of the reports," Hong said adding that the Chinese side will "remain on high alert over the island to prevent any provocative behaviour".
"We also hope that the Philippine side will stop making irresponsible remarks and inciting radical behaviours," he said.
He also urged the Philippines to "come back to the right track of a diplomatic solution" to the ongoing dispute over the sovereignty of Huangyan Island and "send clear and consistent messages" on the matter.
For over a month and China and Philippines had a verbal war over the uninhabited island, called Huangyan island by China and Panatag shoal by Philippines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says